When I was growing up I occasionally saw people using a long white cane.  I am not sure how I came to know that the person was blind but somehow I did.  I also thought that anyone who used one of these canes was totally blind.  I now use a long white cane and I am not totally blind.  In fact, one study I read claimed that that 70% of long white cane users have some vision.  Who knew?

I find these devices to be an indispensable tool that I use every time I leave my home.  It is a simple device, really.  It is nothing more than a stick (that’s what it is called in my home) that is white and in the U.S often times has red at the bottom.  Sometimes the red is a circle.  In Europe it will sometimes have two red circles meaning that the user has both vision and hearing issues.

As you might imagine the canes come in varying lengths with different kinds of tips and handles.

Orientation and mobility (O & M) experts  have differing views as to how long the cane should be but generally agree that it should come up to your armpit at a minimum.   Long time users of white canes often find that as they purchase subsequent canes that they get longer canes as that gives them more reach/extension in front of them.  And, of course, the cane tip should be compatible with the terrain that you are working on.

White canes are also a huge benefit to others as well.  Being able to identify people that have low vision or are blind is extremely helpful in interacting with blind people and, of course, the benefit to the white cane user is enormous.

There are a variety of white canes that can easily be found online.  The reader should also know that the National Federation of the Blind has a free white cane program which you may find out about and take advantage of by going to www.nfb.org.

October 15 is “White Canes Safety Day” as the result of a Congressional Resolution signed into law by President Lyndon Johnson on October 6, 1964.  On that day, and every day, embrace and celebrate the long white cane.  Talk a walk!

Comments

07/02/2016 1:00pm

Contingent upon your eye affectability and whether you pick delicate or unbending gas penetrable (RGP) contact lenses, it might take just a day or it could take two weeks or more for your eyes to change in accordance with the lenses. Some individuals' eyes never modify, yet that is rare.This online journal is so amusing and mind reviving. I particularly think about lenses as I work in visusoogkliniek.nl for quite a while.

12/05/2016 10:16pm

Every 6th of October, we celebrate White Canes Safety Day. It’s one way to show the public that the persons with disabilities should be treated with respect and courtesy. The number of people using white canes is growing and almost doubling from last year’s data. Although I don’t have a family, a friend, or any acquaintance that uses a white cane but I support and attend organizations alike. Persons with low vision or those visually impaired must be supported by the government.

I didn't know that there are some meanings behind the circles at the bottom of the cane! I thought that everything was just the same. My grandmother owns a long white cane but never I tried to ask her about these stuffs because I thought that it was just a simple cane that is used by persons with disabilities. Thank you very much for this, it was really interesting and I learned a lot from this. The next time I will see a cane, I will never see it the same way again.

07/04/2017 5:57am

There are two kinds of vision. Th good and the bad vision. I do not mean anything about magic or fantasy. What I mean is the vision of a person that is about his dream in life. A person who sees something great in the future for himself, his family and strives to get it, it is a vision that leads to success. But the one that has no vision or at least have a vision but does not benefit either himself or other people, that is the kind of vision that destructs people. You know, if people do not have a dream, he either may fail or be destructed.

09/15/2016 10:05am

very well post for me.

White great can is the most famous word used in the dictionary of resolution. And its national day should considered as one of the most great days in year.

02/10/2017 7:05am

These devices might be very useful indeed. I am glad I am informed about them now.

05/07/2017 6:22am

Yes, they have partial blindness. But this isn't enough to see well.

06/05/2017 1:48am

Good news that people can find it online.

Vision issues happen mostly at old ages.

Thanks for sharing.

06/15/2017 1:46am

Great post.

06/28/2017 2:44am

k

06/30/2017 1:26pm

Virtual Private Network gives you a chance to utilize the web all the more safely and gives you a chance to defeat territorial limitations.When determining the best VPN for Android, you need to look out for a few things. Evryone is looking for Fastest and Safe VPN. You can check here No.of Best VPN listed. Psiphon VPN is a great tool for you to go surfing on internet freely and it's free!